Czech Republic Driving Rules and Tips
Lovely mountain scenery, great cities, and romantic getaways are what most people associate with the Czech Republic, but if you’re driving, there is much more to think about. So have a look at these top driving tips for when you’re driving on Czech roads:
THE URBAN SPEED LIMIT IS50 kph | 31.1 mph
THE RURAL SPEED LIMIT IS90 kph | 55.9 mph
THE MOTORWAY SPEED LIMIT IS130 kph | 80.8 mph
THE FUEL PRICE IS
THE CURRENCY ISCZK
THE ROAD DRIVING SIDE IS THERight
THE MINIMUM DRIVING AGE IS18 years of age
21 years of age to RENT
EMERGENCY SERVICE NUMBERS112
Czech law requires that you carry with you, when driving, certain documents which you may be obliged to produce at any time:
- A valid Passport
- Driver’s licence (with photo or IDP)
- Registration documents
- Insurance documents
- Car rental agreement (if appropriate)
- To drive in the Czech Republic, you must be at least eighteen (18) years old
- To be allowed to sit in the front seat, you must be at least twelve (12) years and more than 1.5 metres in height
- A child who is under twelve (12) years old must be securely fastened in a rear seat
Driving Rules, Laws and Regulations
- You must drive on the right hand side and overtake on the left
- Trams must be passed on the right hand side
- Dipped headlights must always be on in winter and at any other times when visibility is limited
- Only sidelights must be used when waiting at level crossings
- Horns must only be used to warn of danger. You are prohibited to use them between 8am and 6pm, or at any time in Prague
- At roundabouts, vehicles already on them have right of way
- You must carry an official first aid kit in your vehicle
- It is forbidden to use expressways without having purchased a vehicle sticker at borders, filling stations or post offices. They can be valid for ten (10) days, one (1) month or one (1) year
- You must give-way to pedestrians at crossings.
Speed Limits and Fines
These are the following speed limits that you must adhere to at all times:
- 130km/hour (81mph) on expressways
- 90km/hour (56mph) on open roads/outside of built-up areas
- 50km/hour (31mph) in built-up areas
Also, vehicles with a trailer travelling on open roads are restricted to 80km/hour (50mph).
There are many radars placed on roads in the Czech Republic, which are monitored closely by Police. If you are detected for breaking these speed limits, then fines are often imposed and collected on the spot. You will also have points taken from you, affecting your opportunity to drive again in the Czech Republic.
The Czech Republic operates a zero-tolerance towards alcohol and drugs. If you are found with more than 0mg of alcohol in your blood, you will be issued an immediate fine, and will be liable to go to court and face imprisonment for up to three (3) years. Depending on the situation, you may have your licence seized and be unable to drive.
Obligatory routine testing can be carried out at any time.
Parking in the Czech Republic is only permitted on the right side of the road, but that is not applicable to one-way streets.
You are prohibited to park within 5 metres of - a junction, a public transportation stop, a pedestrian crossing and within 15 metres of a train crossing.
You can be clamped or towed away if you park in restricted places which are clearly marked by yellow lines that strictly prohibit parking.
You will also be towed away if you have parked in a dangerous manner that obstructs anyone or any vehicle. You will have to call 158 to find out where your vehicle has been taken.
Parking in Prague is indicated by green stripes which have a six-hour maximum stay, and orange stripes which have a two-hour maximum stay.
Who Are We.
You can search and compare the latest cheap rental car hire rates cheaper than what you can pay directly. For top brands you can pay less ! Rates are fully inclusive or as described ! No credit card fees and free cancellations* in many instances. What you see is what you get. When comparing check all the extra’s put on by other operators. We make it easy for you – we just give you the best value with cheap car rental deals including the best brands, and latest car models, with more car rental pick up location depots, than anyone else around the world. Over 30,000 pick- up points and depots Worldwide.
Compare 800+ companies
Top Brands - Big Savings
Lots of Pickup
30,000+ Locations Worldwide